Search engine optimization (SEO) is a strategy, technique or series of tactics used to increase the amount of visitors to a website by obtaining a high-ranking placement in the search results page of a search engine (SERP) — including Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines. (Webopedia) The higher a website naturally ranks in organic results of a search, the greater the chance that that site will be visited by a user. How then can business owners (large or small, new or well-established) create a strong SEO Strategy for their company? Lets look at the key components that can help your company get ranked higher thus increasing your exposure.
- Keywords – Keyword research is the first step to a successful SEO strategy. Keywords about your service, product or brand can help drive traffic to your website. Many keywords are very competitive now and thus companies are turning toward long-tail keywords to get a higher ranking. The new Hummingbird on Google now looks for specific intent of the search as opposed to separate keyword searches. For help finding and writing these long-tailed keywords read more at Long-Tailed Keywords, as suggested by Forbes Magazine.
- Quality Content – We have all heard it over and over “Content is King.” Well it is true! Search engines have stated that creating quality content is the best way to not only rank for keywords, but also create positive user experiences. In addition to having relevant content each page should have the goal of having dynamic content that changes periodically to attract even more attention from the search engines. The goal here is not to make the search engines happy as much as it is to create content that readers find useful and that they want to share with their friends.
- Link Building – Believe it or not link building is still a great way to get noticed by the larger search engines. Get listed on free directories or try back-linking to site that mention you or have used your business.
- Social Media – Maintaining and growing a social media presence on platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest and YouTube can help your rankings as well. By capturing your audience on social media you have a good chance of engaging the consumer to check out your webpage or take advantage of offers you announce on social media channels.
- Be mobile ready – We have all seen it. People cant walk down the street without checking their phones. The statistics show that 80 percent of adults now have a smartphone; the average time spent on a mobile device was 1.85 hours a day (over a half hour increase from 2012). Be sure your website is ready with responsive design that allows viewers to see your site easily regardless of the type of device , whether it is a tablet, phone or desktop.