Link building is the process of getting external pages to link to a page on your website. It is one of the many methods used in Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Since the late 1990’s search engines such as Google, Yahoo and Bing have used links as votes representing the democracy of the web’s opinion about what pages are important and popular. Building links can be time consuming and tedious but can have a positive impact on raising your website rank. Since all links are not equal, it is important to find quality links from authoritative websites. For link building to be effective let’s look at some tips, resources and tools to raise your website ranking at minimal or no cost.
Strategies for effective link building:
- Content. Create compelling and unique content that other consumers and businesses will want to link to. This requires no action but is something you will need to be aware of when designing and creating worthy content for your website.
- Press Releases. Submit news to press releases online through a press release distribution company if you can not do it on your own such as: Press Release Distribution, PR Web, or PR Newswire.
- Free Link Building. Submit specific information such as your Business Name, URL, and Brief description to free directories online such as: Directory Critic, Free Web Directory, or Web Directory Lists.
- Link with Friends. Get partners or customers you work with regularly to link back to your site. Just as you’d get customers wearing your t-shirts or sporting your bumper stickers, links are the best way to accomplish the same feat on the web.
- Build a Company Blog. By writing informative and valuable informatiuon about your business, specialties or your products you gain a following of consumers and businesses that will link to your site. The USA Today states that, “This content and link building strategy is so popular and valuable that it’s one of the few recommended personally by the engineers at Google.” Blogs have the unique ability to contribute fresh material on a consistent basis, participate in conversations across the web, and earn listings and links from other blogs, including blogrolls and blog directories. It is also important to note that commenting on other blogs and reviews will build links too!